Brethren Disaster Ministries - AmeriCorps Project Lead
Service Location: Brethren Disaster Ministries, Carolina Rebuild Project, Lumberton, NC
SBP has teamed up with Brethren Disaster Ministries to bring even more families home and benefit the community at large. Our missions have joined together for one cause; to help bring families home who lost everything to a natural disaster.
Learn how to build a home while helping families and the North Carolina community recover from Hurricane Florence. During their AmeriCorps term, Project Leads will work on clients' homes and oversee groups of skilled and unskilled volunteers in rebuilding projects. Help North Carolina recover from natural disaster while serving your community, gaining transferable work skills and serving an AmeriCorps term that provides a living stipend and education award on completion. Applicants for this position do not need any prior construction experience. As long as you are willing to learn, are adaptive to change, and are excited to serve as part of a team that will lead a diverse array of volunteer groups, we encourage you to apply!
Project Leads play a vital role in Brethren Disaster Ministries’ Rebuilding Program, as they are the volunteers’ main point of on-site contact and actively lead the construction efforts on clients’ homes. A Project Lead is responsible for managing and facilitating training for around 5 volunteers per day. Monitoring safety, ensuring quality work, effectively participating in construction, and completing tasks on schedule are critical functions of the position.
AmeriCorps is a National Service program and an incredible opportunity to serve the community. Members will serve 10 months, full time from August 2019 to June 2020. Members are required to serve 42 hours a week. A typical service week is Monday – Friday, however volunteer orientation orientation occurs on Sunday nights and may require attendance. Members may also need to assist with building material pickup and other preparation activities on weekends. In this case, time off will be provided during the M-F workweek.
Learn more about AmeriCorps here.
Essential Functions of Position:
Project Lead Essential Functions:
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized work site.
- Ensure that each phase of construction is being completed on schedule, even in the absence of volunteers on site.
- Ensure that work is of the highest quality.
- Interact effectively and positively with other team members.
- Actively participate in construction projects.
- Ability to perform strenuous, physical labor in different climates, over long periods of time.
Serving with Volunteers; Essential Functions:
- Assist with on site orientations for volunteer groups.
- Clearly communicates the homeowner’s story to volunteers.
- Educates volunteers on the area, the effects of the storm, and the history and work of the BDM.
- Communicate the daily and weekly goals to volunteers.
- Facilitate effective training and constructive feedback to volunteers who are completing insulation, drywall, mudding, painting, flooring, trim, doors and other phases of construction.
- Supervise and participate in construction activities alongside volunteers.
- Maintain a professional and positive attitude when serving with volunteers.
- Ask volunteers to return and spread the word about the enduring needs.
- Serve as a liaison between the homeowner and volunteers.
- Participate in September 11th Day of Remembrance and Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service events, which may take place on a weekend or during holidays and include activities outside of the scope of typical day-to-day functions.
- Be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
- No construction experience required!
- Monthly Living allowance of $1,373
- An additional $150 monthly housing stipend for individuals who have previously served in AmeriCorps, NCCC, or VISTA.
- Free limited benefits health coverage.
- An education award of $5,920 upon successful completion of each 10 month term.
- Eligibility to postpone repayment of federally-guaranteed student loans during your service term. (The National Service Trust will also pay all or a portion of the interest that accrued during the service period.)
- Child care assistance
- Valuable professional development and opportunities to further your career